Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Faith in Men

I'm not sure what I'm learning, but what I'm seeing is troubling.  In the last few weeks, I have had two men whom I would consider friends, men who have filled my pulpit, fall from their ministries.  I must say it has been very disturbing for me.  I considered them both to be better men, better pastors, better husbands and fathers than I.  I have often said, "That will never happen to me", when I see these things on tv; but now, these are men I know and respected and they have fallen.  I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it.  I have found in the past that how I feel about it usually depends on their attitude towards their sin.  If they are willing to step down from ministry and repent then I usually can forgive.  But if they deny and go on as if nothing has happened, how I feel about them is much different.

Is this how God feels about our sin?  As long as we repent and confess, He is willing to forgive?  I believe it is.  How many sins are there in my life that I am denying and hiding and pretending don't exist?
1 John 1:8-10-If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 Corinthians 2:1-5-And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. 2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, 4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment